Thursday, September 8, 2011


The two instantaneous launch windows this morning did not yield proper conditions for a launch.

Delta control made it to the hold at T-4:00 and balloon data came back RED for upper level winds on the first attempt. Launch window #2 was scrubbed for the same reason with some potentially threatening cumulous clouds adding to the mix.

At this point I had a pretty big decision to make. I could either stay and board my plane at 6 pm and go back to classes the next day or I could spend $200, take a gamble and stay for another day or two, and potentially see the launch.

I figured, screw it, what’s the worst that could happen; GRAIL doesn’t launch and I get to hang out with a bunch of really cool people for a few days? I mean, I’m already down here in the Sunshine State anyway and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

So I decided to stay until Saturday.

Meanwhile the #MQF crew headed down to Kennedy Space Center to kill some time. We went on the Shuttle Experience which was cool, very realistic. After mucking around for awhile we headed to EndlessBBQ and hung out there for a good six or seven hours. Really fun stuff, cool group. Then we headed home to #MQF.

That’s when we got the news.

As I was browsing my tweets on the ride back to our hotel, one caught my eye. A tweet from @AeroSpaceGuide claimed the two launch attempts tomorrow morning had been cancelled already and this was at 10:30 pm. We all claimed bullshit. No official report from NASA, Jim Adams, or KSC had been given. Alas, within a half hour, official confirmation was announced. Delta Control had encountered some questionable data while detanking and they want some time to review it. So they’re taking tomorrow, the 9th, to check that out.

Hopefully there aren’t any issues with the hardware of the rocket as that would present long term delays. Tomorrow will be a much needed “catch up on sleep” day. But for now, fingers crossed.

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment